Friday, June 26, 2015

What is God to us?

I was doing my Devotions yesterday night and I came across Zechariah 7. As I read it, there were so many things I could pick out from just that short few 14 verses. Below is an extract from the Chapter.

Then the word of the Lord Almighty came to me: “Ask all the people of the land and the priests, ‘When you fasted and mourned in the fifth and seventh months for the past seventy years, was it really for me that you fasted? And when you were eating and drinking, were you not just feasting for yourselves? Are these not the words the Lord proclaimed through the earlier prophets when Jerusalem and its surrounding towns were at rest and prosperous, and the Negev and the western foothills were settled?’”

This part struck me the most because, though I have come across cases such as this, where I would question my own intention as to the things that I was doing at that time, I never considered it to be applicable in daily life. We talk a lot about how we can't be Sunday Christians (Being a Christian and child of God on Sunday and come Monday to Saturday, we become little "devils") and how we should act to be children of God on a daily basis but how often do we think about the things we do daily. For instance, when we wake up in the morning, do we say that we want to dedicate our day to Him? Or do we simply carry on the busy schedules that we have without giving it a thought? 

Unfortunately, I am guilty of this because I don't wake up, thinking "GOD!" I wake up thinking, "What's for Breakfast?" But I think this is something that needs to be done because when we say that we dedicate our lives to Him, it means a simple thing like saying a prayer such as"God, I entrust the day to you!" 

Often, we think, oh we have accepted Christ into our hearts, we believe He has died for us at the Cross and yet, we don't act like we do. That first time we accepted, it felt great. It felt warm. It felt awesome to know a Wonderful God. Everything after that goes downhill. Then we backslide and we come to the realisation, through a crisis or a bad situation, that we need God and we have drifted from Him. Again, that warm feeling comes back OVER AND OVER AND OVER. There isn't anything wrong with that feeling but it is wrong when we seek it for an indication of God's Work. He works everywhere and every moment.

I think the important thing for us is to continually reflect on where we stand in our Faith. Not everytime we face some form of trouble. God is not Santa. He doesn't work like that. It is meant to be a relationship.

And I think the most important question to ask daily is:
Do we truly dedicate our days to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment