Friday, July 17, 2015

Discernment: Week 2

Tonight's Bible Study was taken slightly differently and one of the main take backs from it was about this idea  of our relationship with God. The main way we treat and see God (Father, Best Friend, Guide) is an indication of what we are inclined to. For instance, in my case, I see Him more as a friend above the rest. This would be an indicator of how I treasure my friends and how important these type of relationships are to me. I guess I have always treated friendships as something close to my heart and sometimes, it will be extremely painful if I do lose a friend who is close to my heart. 

This made me reflect about the what ifs in my life. What if one day, I had to choose between God and one of my close friends? What if I had to give up a friendship? And this made me wonder, would I be able to do it? Maybe not. But the first thing that came to mind was the book of Job. You see, we all know and understand that the Book of Job talks about a Godly man going through difficult times and how we was encouraged by his friends and loved ones to deny and curse God. Yet, he stood his ground because he truly believed in Him and loved Him no matter what circumstances he was in. But what most people don't know is what was recorded in the Bible with regards to what his friends (Bildad, Eliphaz) said to Job which may have seemed harmless to them but was pretty harmful to Job's faith. They made him question his own God and said things like, you are sinful therefore you went through all the hardships, etc. Yet, through it all, Job was able to stick close to his faith. Funny thing was, he did doubt and there was uncertainty in his heart but it did not stay there for long. I guess this teaches us that our paths are guided by the Almighty Father and there may come a day in which we would possibly need to give up our friendships. Though I may pray that will never happen, it is always a possibility. May what I do continue to be pleasing in His sight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment