Thursday, September 3, 2015

People who develop others

As the General Election approaches next Friday, social media is filled with posts from the different political parties. But, today is an important day for a particular group of people, perhaps more important than those who are campaigning. It is Teachers' Day. Teachers' Day is the celebration of the efforts of the people who have not only taught us the very content that we will eventually forget but also the life lessons that we will never forget.

Since Primary School, I have always been that one annoying, naughty, mischievous and probably one of the most difficult students (probably still am) and I was never an easy kid to handle. I will remember the days, I almost got stripped of my Prefectorial Position in Primary 6 because I bullied one of my classmates (on hindsight, I now understand the gravities of my action. Sorry Christopher and Ms Samsinar) and that was one experience I will never forget because it was instances like these which brought me to a new low every single time such an event occured. But these "lows" didn't stop. It got worse and worse. In Secondary School, I was asked whether I would like to step down from Council because I had been disobedient and rude to one of my teachers (it seems like I have a thing for being stripped from  Council). In Secondary 2, I was called out by my form teacher (Mrs Oh) almost every lesson for being disruptive and Mrs Oh would find either one of my BB Teachers to complain about my behaviour and how I was not willing to change my ways. But these bad experiences were what resonated with me and will continue to stay with me for the rest of my life. In my Presidents' Award Interview, one of the panellist asked me why I wanted to become an educator in the future and my simple answer was, I wanted to change lives just as my life was changed by my teachers. I had described my poor attitude back in Secondary School and showed nothing but disrespect to my teachers. 

Yet, they didn't need to continue to change me because at that point in time, I was beyond hope. But it was the patience that they possessed which struck me. They had no reason to care. It was outside their pay cheque to change my life, it was beyond their duty. And yet, they did.

Teachers go beyond the classroom. Sometimes, they change your lives totally.
Everyday, I feel a calling into education, not because they were nice to me or because they taught well but because, they were strict and ensured that I cultivated a set of values. Often, we, as youths are disgruntled by everything under the sun. Teachers who "don't teach very well", teachers who "don't care" or teachers who just "don't seem sincere". I have said such things before. But I realised that on hindsight, when I look back, every teacher has had made an impact on my life, some more than others.


Teachers don't build our castles for us, they provide the materials, the guidance and encouragement to do so. They let us decide how we want to build our lives but never unnecessarily interfere in the process. Let Teachers' Day not just be a day where we give thanks but let us take every opportunity to look back and see who helped us to build ourselves when we were not able to do it on our own and I am truly thankful to God for delivering all of my teachers!


To all teachers/ educators out there, the work never gets easier, dealing with students and now, parents. But press on! For the work is indeed meaningful, with perhaps little return for you but know that the returns will only be seen 10, maybe 20 years down the road. May God keep you and Bless You

No comments:

Post a Comment